Lighthouse International is looking for promising leaders to co-create a school of the 21st century.
What is Lighthouse International?
Lighthouse International, founded in 2019, is an independent affiliate of the Acton Academy network of schools, a celebrated network of learner-driven micro-schools and the fastest growing independent school network in the world. We combine elements of the Montessori method with Socratic guiding, hands-on experiential quests and adaptive technology. Underlying our method is an application of the Hero’s Journey creating a lively learning environment that feels more like an adventure than school.
What is Acton Academy?
At Acton Academy, we believe children are on a journey—what we call the hero’s journey—to discover their calling. As part of this journey, children ask themselves: “Who am I? Where am I going? How do my passions and talents connect with the world around me? How can I serve a great need and one day change the world?” We have mixed-aged classrooms called studios with a self-paced learning design as opposed to grade-levels. Our real world-oriented quests culminate in public exhibitions of learning as opposed to test scores and report cards. In all areas of Acton life, our students are empowered to be in the driver’s seat of their learning.
Elementary Studio Guide
Start Date: August, 2021
1 full time OR 2 part time positions (am/pm) available. Elementary Studio Guides work with learners ages 5-11. The guide contract is 11 months (Aug-June). Learners attend 7 sessions (Sept-June) with a 1-2 week break in between (used as flexible planning days for guides).
There will be a 2 session probation period before becoming a permanent position.
$15-20 per hour, commensurate with experience. Pay may be distributed over 11 or 12 months.
- Experience managing mixed-aged groups of children
- experience planning/facilitating online, experiential, and real-world learning
- deeply curious about life with a lifelong love of learning
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication skills
- deep respect for children & their ability to learn without heavy adult intervention
- warm-hearted, tough-minded and even-keeled
- flexible problem-solver, innovative, entrepreneurial
- quick learner and independent worker, needing little direct guidance
- enjoys creating, experimenting, improving, and excelling
- active reader
- ability to build/maintain a strong culture of self-directed learning
- clean background check
- demonstrated understanding of diversity and passion for global citizenship
- passionate about disruptive education
- Montessori training/coaching/mentoring experience helpful but not required
Starting your own Acton Campus:
Any guide starting within the next twelve months, who serves for at least one year, will receive credit or a cash payment of $10,000 (up to a maximum of $40,000 for each year served) from the AA Network to go towards opening their own campus! The new owner will be paid out $10,000 each year, once they are approved and launch their AA campus.
Guide Position Responsibilities:
- Affirm students, holding them accountable to their promises and commitment to deliver “the best work they can do” as they discover and pursue their calling on their Hero’s Journey
- Create meaningful exhibitions, ceremonies and celebrations that reinforce the rules of engagement and covenants
- Launch and facilitate Socratic discussions
- Daily/weekly/yearly planning, evaluating and refining the existing curriculum and designing/experimenting with new projects, tools, and approaches
- Prepare an inspiring learning environment with clear expectations that set learners up for success
- Observe and track each child’s progress, guiding learners in setting goals, tracking completion and creating portfolios
- Model independence, being on a Hero’s Journey, and upholding promises made in relational covenants
- Pass along responsibilities to learners as quickly as possible
- Never answer questions, employing the Socratic method at all times (guiding learners to find the answers themselves)
- Write weekly updates on Facebook and/or website blog, with pictures
Please explore our website, then submit your resume and cover letter (outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, how the position is part of your own hero’s journey, and how you heard about this opportunity) to email@example.com